VR/AR Technology: Google Arts and Culture
Google Expeditions
I found out this week that Google Expeditions is over. I read about it and I refused to believe it, so I opened my Expeditions App and it could not download or open any of the content. It was at this moment that my heart shattered. I loved teaching science with Google Expeditions. I moved to ELA and social studies for the last two years, but I still used Expeditions after winter break to explore battlefields and historical places beyond South Carolina. I have now accepted that I will not be doing that this year. It is with this new knowledge that I began searching through Google Expeditions' replacement Google Arts and Culture.
Google Arts and CultureWhen I began searching through the content on Google Arts and Culture I was slightly unimpressed. They did not move some of the science content that I was used to using. Then I began to look for content that I can use with my reading and social studies units. There is so much content. I do a Greek Mythology unit every year when I teach theme, and I am so excited about the resources that I can share with my students. I also discovered that instead of touring battlefields and event locations, there are several museums with exhibits available. I am in the middle of teaching the American Revolution and I am so excited to show my students the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's collection. It is full of primary sources.
Teaching with Google Arts and Culture
To access Google Arts and Culture with students, there are several ways to open the content. This is great for teachers and librarians that have limited technology. The website is available at artsandculture.google.com, so students that have Chromebooks can open it. Google Arts and Culture is also available as an App on most devices. If you have tablets or phones that were used for Google expeditions, they can now be used for this new app.
Before having students use Arts and Culture I would explore as a teacher are have students look through specific collections. It is very easy to use once it is opened. Use keywords in the search bar to find related content. Arts and Culture even has a section called 3 Tips for Teachers to help you feel more comfortable. Richard Bryne also created the video below that walks teachers through finding lesson plans and using the content to its fullest.
There are many ways that Google Arts and Culture can be used. When teaching history, I love the idea of having students analyze primary resources from a period of time to have students learn about a people or culture before being taught about them. There are many museums connected. Arts or STEAM teachers can use these to show students art before creating their own pieces. There is still some science content available for teachers to use as well. While I am still heartbroken over the death of Google Expeditions, I am hopeful my students will still be excited for Google Arts and Culture.
Comments
Post a Comment