Accessibility Tools


 Accessibility Tools 
Tool for visual impairments or reading disabilities

As an Elementary reading teacher and future librarian, I spend a lot of my time trying to encourage all of my students to read and become emersed in books. I teach a variety of students each year and I have taught several students with dyslexia or other reading disabilities. Reading does not come easy to these students, but I have found that they still love a good story. A tool that I have used in the past to help these students is Librivox

Librivox is a free collection of Audiobooks. These books are read by volunteers and are able to be downloaded by anyone. I like to encourage my students when listening to audiobooks to follow along in the text. This strategy can help build vocabulary and fluency. Having students with reading disabilities listen to audiobooks and follow along has helped my students become more willing readers. I use an audio recording of the Secret Garden each year from Librivox and my students love to hear the book read in a British accent.

Librivox is available at Librivox.org. Once at Librivox, readers can search for specific book titles or scroll through the audiobooks available. The reader can look through the catalog by author, title, genre, or language. Once the reader has found a book they can click download to have the book available on their device. Librivox created a short tutorial video in 2012 that is still useful linked here. I highly recommend using Librivox for reluctant readers and readers with visual or reading disabilities. 

Tool for Hearing Impairments

This week, I found a new tool that I do not yet have experience in the classroom with, but I am excited to try it. In my experience in the classroom, I have taught two different students with hearing impairments. This week I found a Google App called Live Transcribe. This App can be downloaded to Android phones or Google Chromebooks. It will transcribe lectures or conversations for students with hearing impairments. This is a great tool for students during class lecture or group projects so they can follow along easier through reading the conversation. I found a great video explaining how to use Live Transcribe and some of the features here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explore

VR/AR Technology: Google Arts and Culture