Information, Technology, and Media

        The "Framework for 21st Century Learning" shows us that information, media, and technology skills go together on their graphic (shown above). They also explained what these skills would look like. Information literacy is explained as being able to access and evaluate as well as use and manage information. Media literacy is described as being able to analyze media and media creation. Technology skills include applying technology in order to communicate information. This Framework was a combination of the AASL and ISTE standards and when viewing the entire framework reminds me again of creating well-rounded individuals, not memorizers or sponges, but individuals that also know how to use and determine the validity of the information they receive. 


        I loved the podcast this week "Fake News and Media Literacy" and I am not a podcast person. I love the way they explained how to determine the validity of an article and created a very catchy song to remember. Media literacy is information literacy. "Fake news" and sensationalized news stories are catchy and highly visible. People need to be able to decide whether the story is true and accurate. Consumers of information have to be wary of the origin whether this information is coming from a news source, social media, or another article. Each year I have to teach my students internet safety and digital citizenship. I use Common Sense media lessons to help deliver this content. Digital citizenship is important for students because they are just beginning to navigate the vast internet. Being a digital citizen includes news and media literacy. Students are involved in inquiry-based lessons and have to determine sources that are valid. I have used Discus with my students to show them how to find great information sources. One of the things they have trouble with is search terms. They always want to ask a whole question. I loved the short video "Selecting the Right Number of Keywords." This skill helps students find the information they are looking for. Information, Technology, and Media are related and almost always interconnected. 


        My information diet comes largely from social media. I find myself needing to destress after working and schoolwork and do so by mindlessly scrolling through Instagram and Facebook. I purposely avoid the news with my children because I find it to be negative, but find I am often ignorant of world events. I devour large amounts of school-based and teaching-based literature also. I read journals and books about best practices. I believe that school librarians should also find information about teaching and library practices to stay connected to the current events in education.


References

ACRL. (2016). Information Literacy for Higher Education Framework for. https://www.ala.org/acrl/sites/ala.org.acrl/files/content/issues/infolit/framework1.pdf

Common Sense Media. (2018, July 20). Digital Citizenship Curriculum. Common Sense Education. https://www.commonsense.org/education/digital-citizenship/curriculum?grades=3%2C4%2C5

Kimbel Library. (2010). Selecting the Right Number of Keywords. Vimeo.com. https://vimeo.com/12861706

The Liturgists. (2017). Fake news and media literacy. The Liturgists Podcast.

The Partnership for 21st Century Learning. (2015). P21 framework definitions.

Comments

  1. Kristinia, it's such a hard balance to find in media and news consumption. I also strive to be well-informed, but the news--especially for the past two years--can put a huge emotional weight on me. It's exhausting; I feel like I'm constantly swimming upstream in a current of misinformation and horrific events.
    As far as teaching our students goes, I think teaching our students how to evaluate valid sources is a good start. I also think they need to understand how arguments are presented and the quality of evidence used to support them. I loved how the Liturgist podcast also talked about whether a source causes a strong emotional response. I think we need to train ourselves and our students to be okay with news and headlines that feel more "boring," because they may not be trying to capitalize on our biases as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristinia,

    I am also someone who does not normally listen to podcasts. However, I did enjoy the Lithurgists podcast this week. I agree with you that teaching digital citizenship to students is crucial. I have taught first and second grade and although my students are young, I still try to explain to them some of the concepts. We have discussed how to conduct research on specific topics and have put it into practice using technology. In doing that research, I try to tell my students about the important questions to ask during the process. I think we should explain to students that they should be curious and try to find out more early on and hopefully they will adopt those practices throughout their lives.

    -Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also share your sentiment about podcasts. I tend to have a short attention span with audio formats, so I appreciated the way the Liturgist podcast was broken up into segments to make it easier for listeners like me. I plan to keep that in mind as I work with students too!

    I appreciate your honesty about your media consumption. I also find it difficult to find a balance when news becomes so negative. I tend to read the news in a digital format because I find it easier to skim or even just read headlines if needed, but I am also aware that headlines can misleading. I try to read from several news sources or at the very least read a short version of the story. I have several local news apps automatically push notifications to my phone, and it can be interesting when I get three headlines at the same time about the same story. The headlines are often drastically different. Usually comparing the headlines gives me a good idea of which story I want to read more thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Explore

Accessibility Tools

VR/AR Technology: Google Arts and Culture