Integrating Technology Using a Chromebook
The Chromebook
Chromebooks are small laptops that require an internet connection. They run on the Google Chrome operating system. Users sign into the Chromebook using their Google account information and all of their preferences are immediately available. Users save their work to their Google Drive, so there is low internal storage. Chromebooks can access the internet and offer many accessibility features, like a typical laptop. Because of their features, Chromebooks find themselves being cheaper than traditional laptops and iPads. This makes them very popular in schools.
Chromebooks are small laptops that require an internet connection. They run on the Google Chrome operating system. Users sign into the Chromebook using their Google account information and all of their preferences are immediately available. Users save their work to their Google Drive, so there is low internal storage. Chromebooks can access the internet and offer many accessibility features, like a typical laptop. Because of their features, Chromebooks find themselves being cheaper than traditional laptops and iPads. This makes them very popular in schools.
Integrating the Chromebook
When I first received my class set of Chromebooks 7 years ago, I had no idea where to start. I found myself in the Replacement stage for the first six months. I did "not have time" to teach students the technology. I had content to cover. After a few rainy days with inside recess, I quickly learned they did not need me to teach them how to use the Chromebook. I now find myself using all three levels of the R.A.T. Model.
The R.A.T. Model was developed by Joan Hughes and stands for Replacement, Amplification, and Transformation (Hughes, 2019).
When technology is used as a replacement, it does not enhance the instruction. The technology is replacing the original content (Hughes, 2019). In a classroom, one way to use a Chromebook as a replacement is to have students watch a BrainPop video. Instead of the teacher offering the content about the water cycle, the BrainPop video will give students this content.
Technology can be amplified. Joan Hughes says the Amplification level "increases efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity of instructional practices" (Hughes, 2019). Amplification enhances learning in the classroom. One way Amplify classroom Chromebooks is to have students create a presentation on Google slides. Using my same Watercycle example, students can create a presentation on the water cycle.
When technology is used at the transformation level, it is used in new and original ways (Hughes, 2019). Using the water cycle example again, teachers can have students create a comic strip or cartoon to show their understanding of the water cycle.
Chromebook Resources
There are many exciting ways to use Chromebooks in the classroom. Tom Gierke and Becky Evans created a presentation showcasing many different apps and tools that teachers can use and give examples.
30 Ways to Use Chromebooks in Schools
There are many apps available through Chromebooks for educators. The Educatorstechnology blog shares 12 apps that are helpful for using chromebooks in the classroom.
12 Good Chromebook Apps for Teachers
The final resource that I am going to share is a list of websites that Milwaukee with Kids shared. These websites are available to students with Chromebooks and many of them I currently use in my own elementary classroom.
30 Best Free Educational Websites for Kids
References
Educatorstechnology. (2017, June 26). 12 Good Chromebook Apps for Teachers. Educational Technology and Mobile Learning.
https://www.educatorstechnology.com/2017/06/12-good-chromebook-apps-
for-teachers.html
Gierke, T., & Evans, B. (n.d.). 30 Ways to Use Chromebooks in Schools. https://www.oakparkusd.org/cms/lib/CA01000794/Centricity/Domain/951/
Gierke, T., & Evans, B. (n.d.). 30 Ways to Use Chromebooks in Schools. https://www.oakparkusd.org/cms/lib/CA01000794/Centricity/Domain/951/
Ways%20to%20use%20Chromebooks%20in%20the%20Classroom.pdf
Hughes, J.E. (2019). Replacement, amplification, and transformation: The R.A.T.
Hughes, J.E. (2019). Replacement, amplification, and transformation: The R.A.T.
model. WordPress. Retrieved September 22, 2021, from
https://web.archive.org/web/20190612101737/https://techedges.org/r-a-t-
model/
MKE with Kids. (2021). 30 Best Free Educational Websites For Kids (2021).
Milwaukee with Kids. Retrieved September 22, 2021, from
https://www.mkewithkids.com/post/10-educational-websites-that-will-
actually-let-you-work-for-an-hour-or-two/
Mrs. Driggers,
ReplyDeleteYears ago, the elementary school I worked at was one of the first in our district to receive 1:1 iPads for students. We were provided with some PD, but I still remember feeling quite lost with how to best utilize them. Unfortunately, I know now that I didn't to their fullest potential. In hindsight, I would do things quite differently and strive to reach the transformation level of Hughe's RAT model. iPads and Chromebooks certainly provide opportunities to transform learning. I imagine there are many teachers who struggle with trying to learn and integrate the myriad of potential uses for them since new apps and methods are being invented daily. What a great opportunity for media specialists to identify and collaborate one-on-one with those teachers who need the most support. I was one of them!
-DeAnna
Hi Mrs. Driggers!
ReplyDeleteI chose to talk about Chromebooks as well. I like that you said that you stayed in Replacement for 6 months and used "rainy day recess" to learn about the Chromebooks! I was given a week to get me and my 22 2nd graders ready for virtual learning with Chromebooks! What an adventure. I'm so glad that they are so user friendly and made learning easy! I was also blessed with a school district that supplied the online training that we needed to walk us through it step by step. As I've had the opportunity to continue to grow and learn with them over the last year and a half, I love them even more. I have a cart in the library now and we use them often. We are no longer 1:1 because of growth, but I'm lucky enough to have a class set in the library to use when they are here. We are now replacing our IPads with tablets and we have training with that on Tuesday so I'm excited to see what they can accomplish!
Robyn Gough Nestvogel