Cyberbullying
After reading "How it's done: Incorporating Digital Citizenship into your Everyday Curriculum" I began to think about how I could integrate digital citizenship and antibullying through the year in an elementary classroom. Having students learn to teach is a great strategy. In an elementary school, I could have the older 3-5 students create projects to share with the K-2 students.
I think one of the things that surprised me when reading "From the Sandbox to the Inbox: Comparing the Acts, Impacts, and Solutions of Bullying in K-12, Higher Education, and the Workplace" was that faculty experience bullying and mobbing by faculty and superiors more than by students. One would think adults would have learned respect and anti-bullying during their own experiences, but this article explains that bullying does not end after high school and there have been many instances of college-level and adult-level bullying.
When I am working with my own students, I hope to integrate anti-bullying throughout the year. There are many videos that are available that would lend themselves to bullying discussions. There are also multitudes of children's books that are appropriate for anti-bullying discussions. I also hope to build a community so that students do not cyberbully each other outside of the classroom.
Kristinia,
ReplyDeleteI also really enjoyed the videos for this week on cyberbullying and felt inspired by the many great projects. It is great to have such quality resources to inspire our own students. I like your idea of having the older students teach the younger ones within an elementary school. Having to teach something ensures that the "teacher" truly understands the concept. If you continue to have the older students do this over multiple years the younger students will eventually become the "teachers" ensuring that they also thoroughly understand the impacts of cyberbullying. If we can get our students to learn the correct behaviors at a young age hopefully our higher education institutions and work places will improve over time.
- Taylor Pineiro
Taylor,
ReplyDeleteI did not even think about the long term benefits of having a teaching program for cyberbullying. Such a small thing in the grand scheme of school could have huge benefits.
Kristinia Driggers