Instagram in the School Library

 Instagram in the School Library

As I began to work on my hypothetical school media center social media, I instantly remembered how awful I am about posting on social media. I have Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, and other social media accounts, and yet I create a post less than once a month across all platforms. I am bad at remembering to take pictures as I try to live in the moment. I know that social media is a great way to share information with families so I will have to schedule times to do this once it becomes my job. 

After I got past the initial dread, I knew immediately which platform I would use, Instagram. Instagram is easy to use and it is popular with all ages. My friends, coworkers, siblings, and even my parents know how to use Instagram.


Once I figured out the platform came the tricky part. I had to create an account for a school and library that do not exist, but I wanted to model this after what I hope to do in the future. I created an account for The Bear Den an elementary school library. I think giving the library a nickname can help it become more relevant to the students. I would have spaces for collaboration and creation. By giving students a cool place to hang out they will want to be there. 

I plan to share content that is relevant to the students and the parents on this Instagram page. I will ask questions for the students to respond to, such as asking for opinions. This will also help the students become more involved when they feel like they have a say in the activities. I will spotlight student work and book recommendations. I will share important events and activities happening in the library. Finally, I will share information with parents. 


I will support instruction and collaboration through this Instagram page by sharing students' work. I will highlight the ways students are able to work together in the library. I will also support collaboration by sharing how the library is collaborating with other programs in our area. I loved the way Jan Wilson talked about the librarian being involved in the extracurriculars of the school and Molly Wetta paired books with sodas from a local shop. I will highlight other student events and create partnerships outside of the school. This Instagram page will support communication by being a direct and open line of communication with the families of the school. I will encourage open communication. This Instagram page will support advocacy by highlighting and representing all of the students and events.


Resources
Wetta, M. (2016). Instagram now: engage young users with the image-based social media tool. School 
        Library Journal. 62(2), 30–34.
Wilson, J. (2017). Make your library more visible. School Library Journal. 63(12), 16–18.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Explore

Accessibility Tools

VR/AR Technology: Google Arts and Culture