Makerspace
Makerspaces are new to me. The elementary school that I am working at does not have one, but I have heard much about them since I started my SLIS degree. When I think about Makerspaces I always think about new technology like 3D printers and robots. While looking through some Blogs I found one that really interested me. How to Build An Awesome Makerspace Resource Library by Diana Rendina shares why books are important in the Makerspace also.
I enjoyed Diana Rendina's Blog. She shares a lot of information about Makerspaces and has a lot of useful suggestions. This particular Blog stuck out to me because as I mentioned before when I think about Makerspaces, I think about technology. When I begin to plan for my own future Makerspace, I begin thinking of the tools and supplies that my students would want to use and would be able to handle. Rendina shares that books are useful to support students with the tools and skills they are using. Once students get started with a new Maker-skill, they will become interested in learning more about the skill and books are a great way for students to get more information. Diana Rendina makes suggestions to help build a Makerspace resource library. My favorite suggestion is when she suggests picture books for young Makers. The book What Do You Do with an Idea is a great book and can help younger elementary students get into the mindset of creating.When reading "School Library Makerspaces Making it up as I go" by Ana Canino-Fluit, Fluit mentioned how limited resources can be. Libraries often already have books on creator crafts. A librarian may be able to pull books off their shelves to help support their Makerspace. In "What I've Learned from 7 Years of the Maker Movement in School and Libraries" Kristin Fontichiaro mentions that hands-on doesn't mean minds on. Books are a great way to help connect creation with learning. I think that books should be included in Makerspaces and I love the recommendations that are given by Diane Rendina.
Resources
Canino-Fluit, A. (2014). School Library Makerspaces. Teacher Librarian, 41(5), 21–27.
Fontichiaro, K. (2019). What I’ve Learned from 7 Years of the Maker Movement in Schools and Libraries. Teacher Librarian (Vancouver), 46(4), 51–63.
This is definitely a different way of looking at “tools” for makerspaces. I have heard several teachers in my previous school comment that students only “play” in makerspaces and don’t always create meaningful things. Personally, I don’t see a problem with this. Students need to play, and sometimes “play” allows them to learn about their interests and find what they really love to do. On the other hand, sometimes students do need a little help in figuring out what to do. I think these books are a great addition to a makerspace. They can give students many ideas of what to create. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteStephanie Sulton
I think developing instructional/idea materials for a makerspace is a really great point! As a current English teacher, I love the idea of a makerspace, but can't deny that prior to this week's module, I was pretty intimidated about implementing one, as I do not feel I have a strong STEM background. I feel educating myself with quality literature and resources about makerspace ideas are just as important for me, as they are for potentional "makers." As Stephanie mentioned above, Makerspaces are a great place to allow students to develop interests and imagination; however, it also stands to reason that even the most innovative students can also stand to have some suggestions or starting point. I love the resources you suggested, and I will definitely be considering adding some of those titles to be maker materials.
ReplyDeleteMeagan Hooks Boyd