Final Takeaway
I have really enjoyed SLIS 761 this semester. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I have learned a lot from the assignments and course readings. Some of the things that stood out to me most were accessibility tools for equal access and the anti-cyberbullying videos available from the Cyberbullying Research Center.
I have learned about accessible technology from the SLIS program, but I was really impressed and excited about the features and ideas that I heard in this course. Matt Johnston created a video about 3-D art for Business Insider (Johnston, 2016). The idea of 3-D art so that all people are able to enjoy art is fascinating. I also loved the video "How Architecture Changes for the Deaf" by Vox. I have never thought about what it would be like to try to experience art with a visual impairment or how architecture and design could impact a person with a hearing impairment. I am glad that it was initiated because it has changed my way of thinking about accessibility.
I have known about digital text reader extensions and apps such as Live Transcribe, but I never knew that alt. text existed. Creating my school website has allowed me to learn another accessibility feature that can help many people. Whether a person has slow internet and photos won't load, or a person is using a reader tool, alt. text is important so that a person can experience a website fully.
The second thing that really stuck with me personally in this course is the videos available through the Cyberbullying Research Center. These videos are inspirational and help share positive messages. I have used some with my 4th-grade class this year when we have struggled with kindness.
I have learned much about Informational Technology in the School Library, but I think the things that stuck with me most were things that I connected to personally.
Resources
Johnston, M. (2016, January 2). Someone turned the world’s most famous paintings 3D so blind people can experience them. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/3d-printed-works-of-art-for-the-blind-2016-1
Patchin, J. W. (2017, December 21). Cyberbullying Videos to Use in Presentations. Cyberbullying Research Center. https://cyberbullying.org/videos
Vox. (2016). How architecture changes for the Deaf [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNGp1aviGvE
Comments
Post a Comment